Rebecca represents businesses and other interested parties in bankruptcy, state court receiverships, sales of business assets and out-of-court business reorganizations. She often serves as the receiver for operating and liquidating businesses, as well as in real estate matters. Ms. DeMarb has been certified in business bankruptcy by the American Board of Certification since 2005.
Ms. DeMarb works diligently to meet the needs of her clients. Rebecca is hands-on and responsive, and she focuses on bringing diverse interests together to reach acceptable solutions that are cost-effective and make solid business sense. Attorney DeMarb brings a polished work-product and a no-nonsense approach to her streamlined, lean and efficient practice.
Rebecca’s skills, knowledge, and experience have earned her inclusion on the Wisconsin Super Lawyers list in Debtor-Creditor Rights since 2008 and on the Top 25 Female Attorneys in Wisconsin by Super Lawyers in 2010 and 2015 through 2017, and Top 25 Attorneys in Madison in 2015 through 2017. In 2012, she was peer-review rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell. In 2012, Rebecca DeMarb served on the Milwaukee committee for Turnaround Management Association. In 2014, she was a winner of the 8th Annual M & A Advisor Turnaround Awards for the Anchor BanCorp, Inc., Chapter 11 bankruptcy case. In 2015, she was a co-winner of the 9th Turnaround Management Association National and Midwest Small Company Transaction awards for her service in the LongVans and Related Entities case, and a co-winner of the 10th Annual M&A Advisor Divestiture Award for LongVans and Related Entities. She has been a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and Turnaround Management Association for several years, and in 2013 served on the Milwaukee Committee for TMA. Rebecca served on the board for the Bankruptcy, Insolvency, and Creditors’ Rights Section of the State Bar of Wisconsin from 2013 to 2016. In 2017, Rebecca founded the Wisconsin Network of the International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (“IWIRC”) and remains network chair.
In 2012, Ms. DeMarb joined Kerkman & Dunn, a Milwaukee-based firm, as a partner to open the Madison office, known as Kerkman Dunn Sweet DeMarb. In October 2014, the Madison office became Sweet DeMarb LLC. In addition, Rebecca has practiced at Murphy Desmond in Madison, Wisconsin, in large Chicago firms, and as a solo practitioner.
Contact Rebecca DeMarb
Direct Line: 608-310-5502
Business Bankruptcy, American Board of Certification, 2005 to present
- Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin, 1997
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2000
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 2000
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, J.D., cum laude, 1997
- Loyola University Chicago, B.A., magna cum laude, Political Science, 1994
- Co-Author, Collection Remedies and Workers Non-bankruptcy Alternatives & Bankruptcy, Business Law Advisory Series Wisconsin CLE Books, 2006.
- Co-Author, Professionals Beware! Pitfalls to Getting and Keeping Compensation, International Insolvency Review, Fall/Winter, 2004.
- Contributing Author, “Wisconsin Judicial Benchbook”, Volume II, Civil, 3rd Ed., Wisconsin Supreme Court, 2008-Present.
- In re SnowTracks Winter Commercial Management, Inc., 17-10755 (Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, W. D. Wis.).
- In re GreenWhey Energy, Inc., 16-CV-164 (Polk County Chapter 128 Receivership).
- Sale of assets of Great Big Pictures, Inc., 2015.
- Bouraxis Properties Receivership, 14-CV-3185 (Milwaukee County Chapter 128 Receivership).
- In re Anchor Bancorp Wisconsin Inc., Case No. 13-14003 (WD Wis. Bankr. 2013).
- Nicolet National Bank, v. Whitefield Industrial Coatings, Inc., et al., 12 CV 732, Brown County, Wisconsin (2012) (Chapter 128 Receivership).
- Sold Out LLC v. 216 State Street, LLC, et al., (Dane County 2012) (Orpheum Theater Foreclosure Receiver).
- State Bank of Cross Plains v. Raemisch Imp., Inc., 11 CV 3883 (Dane County 2011) (Chapter 128 Receivership).
- Stainless Steel Fabricating, Inc., 10-18550 (WD Wis. Bankr 2010) (Chapter 11 Bankruptcy).
- In re DDS 2019, LLC and In re DDD 2019, LLC, 18-13912 (Chapter 11 for Death’s Door Spirits, LLC, W.D. Wis.).
- In re FOC, Inc, et. al, 17-00463 (Chapter 11 for Fauser Oil Co., Inc., N.D. Iowa).
- Steven Z. Royko, Royko Enterprises LLC
- Bethany A. Piechowski, State Bank of Cross Plains
- Alice Torti, VP and General Manager, Great Big Pictures, A GSP Company
- Greg Milligan, Harney Management Partners, LLC
- “The Efficient Chapter 11 Case”, State Bar of Wisconsin BICR Retreat, 2017.
- “Piercing the Corporate Veil”, State Bar of Wisconsin, Annual Bankruptcy Update, November 2016.
- “Odd Statutory Liens”, State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Meeting, 2016.
- “Headaches, Relief and Other Remedies”, American Bankruptcy Institute Central States Conference, 2016.
- “A Guide to Garnishments”, State Bar of Wisconsin Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Creditors’ Rights Annual Update, October 2015.
- “Associated Bank N.A. v. Collier and Attorney’s Title Guaranty Fund, Inc. v. Town Bank: A Sea of Change on Wisconsin Receivership Law and Its Impact on Federal Litigation,” 2015 DCWBA Annual Meeting, May 20, 2015.
- “So, You Want to be a Supplemental Receiver? Keep Reading, You May Change Your Mind,” WDBB, May 14, 2015.
- “Preferences: Now You Have It, Now You Don’t,” 2014 State Bar of Wisconsin Annual Update.
- “TMA: Advanced Education Session: What Did I Get Myself Into? Ethical Issues in Distressed Deals,” The Annual TMA Meeting, Toronto, Canada, September 29, 2014.
- “Ethical Issues in Distressed Deals,” Turnaround Management Association, September 24, 2013.
- “Worth the Jump: A Couple of Stories About Finding and Realizing Value,” USLFG Bankruptcy Group Meeting, October 18, 2013.
- University of Wisconsin, Lawyering Skills Course.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Turnaround Management Association
- Milwaukee Committee Member, 2013
- State Bar of Wisconsin, Bankruptcy Insolvency and Creditors’ Rights Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Western District of Wisconsin Bankruptcy Bar
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Founder of Wisconsin Network, 2017
- Inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers
- Debtor-Creditor Rights, 2008-Present
- Top 25 Female Attorneys in Wisconsin, 2010, 2015 through 2018
- Top 25 Attorneys in Madison, 2015 through 2018
- 8th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards for Anchor Bancorp, Inc., Chapter 11 case
- 10th Annual M&A Advisor Turnaround Awards, Divestiture Deal of the Year (Under $50MM)
- 2015 Turnaround Management Association, National, Small Company Transaction of the Year, LongVANS, Inc.
- 2015 Turnaround Management Association, Chicago/Midwest, Small Company Transaction of the Year
- Wisconsin Law Journal ‘Women in the Law’ honoree
- 2019 Best Lawyers
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.